Saturday, August 27, 2016

Stacking the shelves #3



Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Synopses  of first in a series will only be added  to avoid spoilers !




Viking Warrior 

Hardcover, 360 pages
Published June 13th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers

A young man only at peace when he is at war
Young Halfdan is a slave. He is crafty with a bow and arrow and wise in the ways of the animals, but he can only dream of a warrior's life. That is, until the dark day a Saxon's blows lay his father on his deathbed, and his mother makes a tragic bargain for Halfdan's freedom.
A boy's destiny can come at the most terrible price. Halfdan must suffer a grave loss in order to grasp what he most desires: to train by, to live by, and, if the fates decree it, to die by the force of his sword and the swiftness of his arrow. He is to be a warrior -- a great warrior.
Bloody, furiously paced, heart-wrenching, and unflinching, this is a story of a land where the destinies of boys and men are forged in the heat of battle. Young Halfdan shall come to know the glories of true brotherhood and the unspeakable horrors of true evil. In this first book in a saga teeming with thrilling details of the Viking world, young Halfdan emerges as a new hero . . . a new myth . . . a new legend.



Dragons from the Sea
Hardcover, 346 pages
Published June 12th 2007 by Harper Teen 


The Road to Vengeance
Hardcover, 344 pages
Published June 17th 2008 by Harper Teen














Book 1,  Mélusine , hasn't arrived yet. The series  description will substitute.    


Set in the fantasy world of Meduse, it tells the story of the adventures of Felix Harrowgate, a wizard, and his half-brother Mildmay the Fox, a former assassin.



The Virtu
Hardcover, 439 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by Ace Hardcover



The Mirador
Hardcover, 426 pages
Published August 7th 2007 by Ace Hardcover














Corambis
Hardcover, 432 pages
Published April 7th 2009 by Ace




















by Marjorie M. Liu and Sana Takeda
Paperback, 192 pages
Published July 19th 2016 by Image Comics


Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900’s Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steampunk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both




Leverage
by Joshua C. Cohen

Hardcover, 425 pages
Published February 17th 2011 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

The football field is a battlefield
There's an extraordinary price for victory at Oregrove High. It is paid on - and off - the football field. And it claims its victims without mercy - including the most innocent bystanders. 
When a violent, steroid-infused, ever-escalating prank war has devastating consequences, an unlikely friendship between a talented but emotionally damaged fullback and a promising gymnast might hold the key to a school's salvation.
Told in alternating voices and with unapologetic truth, Leverage illuminates the fierce loyalty, flawed justice, and hard-won optimism of two young athletes.


 So that's what I got. How has your week been?

PS.  Leverage was the 2nd book I shelved as to be read on Goodreads, in the month May of 2011. My paperback copy has been worn.  A non-reader did not candle it properly.  I haven't read it but it will be read before 2016 is done.  Leverage, The Strong Bow saga And The Doctrine Of Labyrinths are now out of print. I luckily won't a 2nd  store this year that has free international shipping. Shipping and handling to Suriname gets pricey.  It's Betterworldbooks.com btw. They sell old library books from prices ranging from $6 to $13 in most cases.  I've waited 5 years to read the out -of -print- books. I can't freaking wait

10 comments:

  1. The covers are new to me but they are nice! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ro! It's been a while but I'm glad to see you on the blogosphere. I hope you'll enjoy these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of the Judson books, but they definitely look like ones for me. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fantastic week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you were able to find the books even though they were out of print! I've actually not heard of any of these except Monstress. That was does have a gorgeous cover though, and the other books sound interesting as well. I have to admit though, the veins in his arm in Leverage are kinda freaking me out lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing Leverage when I first started blogging, but never read it. You reminded me that I want to. The other books are unfamiliar to me, but that makes sense if they are out of print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of any of these before but the covers look epic. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized that my husband has the first volume of Monstress on his tablet so I'm going to try to read that this month! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Better World Books! I buy books there all the time. I must have about 60 of theirs. Anyway, that's a lot of fantasy you have there. Good for you and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy all these and thanks so much for stopping by!
    Let's hope both of us are out of our reading slumps soon!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater