Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber


Darker Still (Magic Most Foul #1)
by Leanna Renee Hieber
Published by Sourcebooks Fire
Date publication:  November 8th 2011
Source: gifted by  joyousreads.com
Rating: 4/5



Synopsis: I was obsessed.
It was as if he called to me, demanding I reach out and touch the brushstrokes of color swirled onto the canvas. It was the most exquisite portrait I'd ever seen--everything about Lord Denbury was unbelievable...utterly breathtaking and eerily lifelike.
There was a reason for that. Because despite what everyone said, Denbury never had committed suicide. He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame.
I've crossed over into his world within the painting, and I've seen what dreams haunt him. They haunt me too. He and I are inextricably linked--bound together to watch the darkness seeping through the gas-lit cobblestone streets of Manhattan. Unless I can free him soon, things will only get Darker Still. 


My thoughts

Cover : It has a pretty girl in a dress cover. The cover shows what happens in this book and how she enters the painted portrait. A prison of someone she has come to love.

Book:
THIS JOURNAL IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF:
MISS NATALIE STEWART
A GIFT TO MARK , HER EXIT FROM
THE CONNECTICUT ASYLUM


This story takes place in 1800 New York. Natalie is a young middle class lady. Mute but well educated and well spoken in her writing. The shock of her mother’s death caused her disability at the age of four. Through her father’s job at the metropolitan museum of art , Natalie comes in contact with a mesmerizing enchanting and cursed painting of Lord Denbury, a not so long ago English perished young man. ( Darker Still is influenced by the picture of Dorian gray but is not a copy cat and differs). She is his savior and help to break the hex. Natalie gradually falls in love or better said on him . ( ha ha book joke)Will Natalie succeed, will the evil forces, dark magic and demons prevail, will Dembury be freed? Read to find out !

Do you know the reading experience when immersing yourself in Dracula, Frankenstein or Jekyll and Hyde. Darker Still has a similar gritty gothic feel to it with splashes of austeny touches. I know I am giving high praise but the world building is that good. The dairy form it was written makes it stand out in the YA book crowd . It is written in 1800 eloquent fashion . Natalie could really have existed. So truly realistic and trough out the book I had to remind myself the experiences, the people are fictionalized. Ok maybe I’m exaggerating but the world building is really done well.

Characters

Natalie is a kind young lady. She comes up for herself though her writing and later on with something more she missed for a long time .S he is very brave in the midst of danger that’s induced by dark magic and demonic powers. She tries to save poor and homeless girls from slaughters.

Lord Denbury is a true gentleman. He is there for Nat and is protective over her but not overprotective and surely does not chain her up. He respects Natalie’s decision not like a well known and super popular *cough*pale *cough* sparkly fellow. He is a person who was on his way to serve mankind for the greater good before he got hexed. Now i know why bloggers use a specific term for him; DENBURYLYCIOUS description

There are lovely parents or parental figures present through this whole book. Her father is a smart kind man and her to be happy and well educated. We see Madame North more of the time. She is one the 1st real friends Natalie has and a awesome source for help in the quest of defeating evil.

I had a little problem with the ‘’other one’’, ‘’the other self, the villain . It is sexualized and pure evil. A demon. I know it is evil but still I hoped for its motivation. That was not fully explained. I know it is just book one but I hope more will be revealed plus explained.

Darker Still is not perfect but still really great. Thanks Joy @joyousreads for the gift. You are da bomb. After reading the synopsis of book two there is more danger upon them and explaining things to society will be frikkin hard. I can’t wait and I hope I will win cash soon to pre order or order it.

The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart is out on November 1st. I MUST HAVE IT. Sighs. Are you looking for something new and fresh in Paranormal YA . This not another half-baked paranormal but they characters witness growth especially Natalie . I HOOOPE you give it a try

virtual hangouts  
twitter
website
goodreads

songs that fits perfectly with this book and do generate a atmosphere



when Natalie sleeps  and has builds a connection



goes for natalie en denbury




the slaughters and fighting back


16 comments:

  1. I'm kind of tired of paranormal books, but I'm glad this one is good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Roro. It sounds like an interesting YA with a gothic aspect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really enjoyed this book. Definitely looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including the songs along with your review. I own a copy of this book and keep pushing it to the side to read my review books but I love the cover a lot so I know that I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Not another half-baked paranormal", you've convinced me, I've got to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous review Roro! I am impressed with how great your reviews are coming along these days! I read this book last fall, and liked the gothic feel but found it to be a bit slow, but still enjoyable! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great review Roro! Your reviews just get better and better these days! I love how you've chosen songs that accompany the book well. I've always wanted to do that, but never really had the guts, too. :)


    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Argh! Historical T_T

    But it sounds good!
    See? I'm having that problem lately... the book sounds awesome, the premise and all... and then... BOOM set on the 1800s or 1900s or you know haha.

    But I'm trying to get rid of my aversion to historicals and give it a try!

    Thanks for the review!

    Whoa, seriously, love your review :D Right to the point! <3
    Alba-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO happy that you enjoyed this!! I've been meaning to read it for ages, but haven't yet for some stupid reason. This is actually the first time I've heard of Denburylicious haha. A respectful (and apparently delicous) gentleman? Mmm, I do like the sound of him already :D Natalie sounds like a fantastic heroine too. I am so excited to read this, thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I wanna read about that guy too and see what thy term was coined ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh Denburylicious?!! I must read of this yummy Lord. I've never heard of this one but your review makes me want to pick it up. This dark tale sounds intriguing. Great review roro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought this one when it was released and believe it or not, I STILL need to read it. But I love that you liked Denbury, and Natalie seems really awesome. Great review, Rogier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) I i'm so glad to hear about a book with great world building! Nice review Roro! And to hear about a gothic tale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! This sounds like it'll be a great read! Your making me wanna read about that guy!! Sounds so delicious! haha! Great review Rogier! :D
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im glad you enjoyed this book Roro, im looking forward in reading this! You seemed to really loved the world building and I cant wait to get lost in this world! Great review xoxox

    Ficbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Completely agree! The book isn't perfect but it's definitely very enjoyable! I read it in one sitting and I can't wait for the novel's sequel :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater