Saturday, February 4, 2012

Falling In Between book tour: interview w/ Devon Ashley

You can see the tour schedule and more information by clicking HERE.
Well today is my stop. welcome.First i'll introduce you to the author


About this author

I share a blog with fellow indie authors Rebecca A Rogers and Constance Sharper where we spotlight indie writers. Check it out here http://dark-horse-books.blogspot.com Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Devon-Ashl...
Favorite Silly Quote: Cedric didn't die. Carlisle found him and turned him into Edward.
Interesting Fact: I share my birthday with my favorite author, Jane Austen
You can read her blog at http://devonashleywrites.blogspot.com


What inspired you to write Falling in Between? I’ve actually had this story marinating in my head for a few years now. I had just finished writing Metamorphosis and began on Catacombs when I felt the urge to get this one out of my head already. Not quite sure anymore how I came up with the idea but the characters made it really fun to write.

What was your favorite scene to write in Falling in Between? Ooh. Jeez. Hmm… I had so much fun writing these characters. So many scenes made me laugh or bury my head in humiliation. Personally, I think I had the most fun when Jenna woke up in the hospital and Sophie got to utterly humiliate her by putting her sarcastic spin on how Jenna drowned in her undies and how the guy Jenna had been crushing on had been very attentive since giving her chest compressions while wearing that lacey bra. 

What got you into reading and at what age, and what sort of books did you like reading as a child? Honestly, I can’t remember a point in my life when I wasn’t reading so I think that passion has always been present. My favorites growing up were Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, More Scary Stories and those Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Do you have a set routine when you are writing? Are you a plotter or just write what the characters feel like to say? [to me all characters are like real people]. Well, with my urban fantasy novels, I’m a total plotter. Those novels have four main characters, all with their own point of view and their own stories going on, so I can have anywhere between 4 to 8 major and minor plots going on. So I usually concoct curves for each plot and then blend them all together into one large plot curve. Sound confusing? Well, I generally have a lot going on in those stories (which some people find confusing – but I’ll be the first to admit that there’s a lot to take in in just one sitting). Here’s what my original plot curve for Metamorphosis looked like (yes…I even color coordinate J):

As for Falling in Between, I only have Jenna’s point of view so I didn’t bother to plot anything. Just as well cause I pretty much rewrote the story in my head anyway - all for the better I think. I really just put myself in Jenna’s shoes and tried to make her voice and actions as honest as I could in those situations. Here’s hoping people find her relatable.

Have you any other books in the making at the moment? I’m currently writing Catacombs, which is book 3 of my urban fantasy series The Immortal Archives. I’m also considering a follow up to Falling In Between. I have a story in my head but I’m not really sure if I’m gonna write it or not.


What are you currently reading, have finished or on your wish list? My wish list is so long I’m doubtful I’ll ever catch up. I’ve got a few ARCs I need to read next (The Demon Lover, Fracture, Saving June and Every Other Day). There are a few in the backlog that I’d like to read for pleasure too (Hereafter, The Body Finder, Divergent, Touch of Frost).


Why should we read Falling in Between? Jenna’s coming of age story is funny, humiliating, stressful, and utterly confusing – and hopefully relatable to teenagers. I for one remember doing stupid things (like jumping off cliffs) when I knew better – but did it anyway. And my friends were always there to egg me on, and to make sure that afterwards they would never let me live it down. J

This or that segment


Vanilla or Chocolate: My precious…


Summer or Winter: Being in Texas, summertime is extremely hot. I’ll take cooler weather any time. You can always keep adding layers but you can only take so many off. J


Christmas or Halloween: Christmas. I love seeing all the lights and decorations everywhere I go. And people in general seem to be nicer to one another that time of year.


Vampires, faeries or zombies: I’m still a fan of the vampires above all else. Probably why I write about them.


4 comments:

  1. Great interview! I didn't actually know what this book was about until now but it sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You can always keep adding layers but you can only take so many off." <-- That's EXACTLY what I say, Devon! x) It's one of the reasons why I'm a winter girl, too, instead of a summer girl (even though I live in Canada haha)! And you should definitely read Divergent -- it's such an amazing book! :)

    Awesome interview! I've never heard of Falling in Between before, but it sounds like a pretty cool book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Jenna, you can add on so many layers but you can only take so many off :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's helpful for me.I must read this book.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater